Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hi, I'm Sister Babcock

My husband and I are Mormon missionaries in the Caribbean.
(for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

We left our children and grandchildren in the States so we could share the gospel of Jesus Christ full time for twenty-three months.

I have loved the Book of Mormon since I was a child. It is one of the first books I remember reading. It helps me feel close to Jesus Christ and increases my trust in my Heavenly Father. Knowing that God speaks to prophets today matters to me. He still cares about the world He created and He cares about me. The atonement of Jesus Christ will eventually take care of all of the unfairness in the world and show that God is both just and merciful.

We try to be respectful of the religious faith of the people we visit. Most of them are already Christians. We want to add to the truth they already have.

Following Jesus Christ

The Savior’s teachings have influenced my life. Knowing that families are eternally important has shaped my life as a daughter, a wife and a mother. The Lord has helped me have the courage to create a family and establish a home of my own. It is easier to have children and trust in the future if you believe that God cares about the world and has a plan for it.

I think it gives others courage when I have the courage to share my weaknesses and strengths with them. It would be easier to be shy and self conscious but people need friends. We are more alike than we are different. We can help each other if we are honest about who we are and if we are open enough that we can show our love for each other.


The Word of Wisdom

We teach a health code given to the Prophet to protect and bless people in our day. Following the Word of Wisdom helps me keep my body free from the effects of alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea, and drugs. I try to eat meat sparingly and have made an effort to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in my diet. Sleep and exercise are part of it as well. But the most important effect is on my mind and spirit. It is easier to feel the influence of the Holy Ghost on my thoughts and feelings when I keep this commandment.

Why and How


We go on missions because we love the Lord and His Church. As my husband approached retirement, one of our goals was to have enough money to pay for a mission. There is no salary but blessings. It is our contribution. The church paid for our flight to the islands and will pay our return fare, but we have been blessed to be able to pay for all food, rent, and household expenses here as well as all the fixed expenses back in the States. The Church actually provides us with a car,but we pay a fixed amount monthly for the privilege plus our own gas.

A Typical Day

On a typical day we study the scriptures alone and then together. We plan our day and prepare lessons to teach. I practice hymns on a keyboard -- they are desperate enough to need my rusty talents in church meetings. We try to encourage members of the church to attend meetings and teach those who want to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We do community service one day a week and support activities and programs put on by the local congregation. My husband helps provide leadership and wakes up at 5:00 every morning to support an early morning seminary class for high school students.  I have substituted as a Sunday School teacher and also help the women teach the children and young people on Sunday and go with them to make week day visits.

We miss our family very much, but we are happy to share our missionary experiences and communicate with our children and grandchildren through E-mail and blogs. We will miss the birth of at least two grand babies, but we hope that our example of service will help our children want to be good and serve the Lord in their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment